Saturday, October 25, 2008

iTunes had the answer

Okay, sort of.

I have my iTunes on All Artists and it's in shuffle mode.

So I get this really odd playlist of things. It'll go from Rob Thomas(pop/rock), to Keb Mo (blues), to Chris Botti (jazz), to Buckcherry (rock), to Keith Urban (Country)
and now as of last night and the free CD from Roadrunner Records, Slipknot, Machinehead, & Killswitch Engage to name a few.

I think music is the answer.

Okay it's my answer to most questions, but bear with me.

Music has changed drastically in the last 50 yrs

1958 ... "It's All in the Game" by Tommy Edwards was the #1 song in the country. One chart, it was simple.

Now every genre has it's own chart (even charts can't get along, we are doomed) but using the Billboard chart.

2008 ... "Womanizer" by Britney Spears is the #1 this week.

(Okay I like the song...don't tell)

But I'm losing my focus. The thing is. Music is a creative outlet. People use it to express themselves and that is the way it should.But there are so many people expressing their anger. So much of the music, let alone the lyrics, out today is angry. And it's not helping people who are already angry with their own stuff to hear all about someone else's issues. They aren't dealing with their own problems, they are compounding them by adding on someone else's.

Maybe I'm being a whiner.

But I'm really just tired of the constant low hum of the whole world around me growling about EVERYTHING. It's so hard to resist being one of them, the growlers.

My favorite song right now is By Buddy Guy off his new CD Skin Deep. It's the title track.



and Just Like You by Keb Mo'



I don't know. It's not about being sad. The blues isn't really about being sad, to me. The music and the lyrics just have more to say, or maybe it's something I feel I need to hear.


But then there are songs like this one


that are just plain good.


M

No comments: