Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Not-So-Ancient Chinese secrets....

I'm really aging myself on that one. Remember those commercials?

I had the please of having dinner with my oldest child tonight. It freaked me out that she paid. Watching her pay with her bankcard and act all grown up was surreal!!
We went for a Chinese buffet, but only because they have decent sushi (nothing fancy, but it's good) on the buffet.

We ate, caught up, and enjoyed the time. With the check came the fortune cookies
Carissa opened and read hers aloud, "You are a lover of words, someday you will write a book."

She laughs and says this one must be yours.

I laugh and open the other cookie. "With a little more hard work, your creativity takes you to great heights."

Nice. I think I'll keep them both. I may have to play the "lucky" numbers on lotto just in case. Because the creativity and the book aren't happening working a day job, especially one that has me working nights. I'm not a morning person, so I'm best at night (I really should look into turning Vampire. They have money, and lots of time on their hands, and they get to stay up really late!!)

So, if anyone wants to pay me to stay home and write (Yes, Karen, I know you would if you could.) I'm willing. After 8 or 10 hours of being in charge of everyone else, and taking care of business how on earth do you settle down and focus and write. I don't have an editor or assistant to organize my output. And I feel like I'm a little too attention deficit to pay attention to my own story long enough to write it.

That's why Karen calls me the idea girl. I rock at ideas. Give me a topis, a hint, and I can run with it. I can flesh it out. But give me three ideas and I jump between them. It was the same way the other night at Paradocks at the bar. There were two huge screens with baseball games playing. I couldn't decide whether to watch the Yankees beat the Orioles, or The Mets lose to the Braves. (I still vehemently believe that any time I like, I jinx by watching the game.) I kept looking down and answering the trivia questions on the lower screen too, and we'll ignore that I was talking to the person across the table off and on too.

I really am to A.D.D to take out in public. I usually write with headphones on, playing a CD that I've heard a thousand times. It's like white noise that focuses me.

But I'm holding on to the fortunes from tonights dinner. I may even laminate them and put them in my wallet.

I love words!
I'm going to write a book!
I'll work hard and reach new creative heights!

(at least until next time I get a really cool bit of fortune cookie wisdom to replace it.)

What I'm reading: Clive Cussler "LOST CITY"
What I'm listening to: Pat Monahan "LAST OF SEVEN" (www.myspace.com/patmonahan)
Seth Walker "SETH WALKER" (www.myspace.com/sethwalkerblues)

Most Recent Movie Watched: "THE AIR I BREATHE" & "VAN HELSING" (yeah, it's old, but Hugh Jackman is GREAT!!)


M

No comments: